2011, 218pp, ASCD, USA.
I received this edition in the post, being a Select member of the ASCD in America (thus furthering my search for educational research!). Well, it got my attention straight away! The subtitle reads, "Elevating the Essentials To Radically Improve Student Learning". That said to me, "read me, read me NOW!" And so I dutifully obliged.
Schmoker is a previously published author, his most recent book being titled, "Results NOW" (2006), which also looks a good read. He has an effortless but convincing style that is easy to read, and enjoyable. He is most passionate about making grand improvements to education for all, and this is plainly read through his writing. It is a call to action.
Schmoker highlights a few proven, though, some would say, old-fashioned methods in pedagogy and leadership that he attests will improve student learning noticeably. In fact, he repeats these few core ideas a number of times, though I believe this was just because the methods are so versatile and can be applied in a number of places. This repetitious nature of strategy doesn't get boring, but by the end of the book, you can predict what he is going to say.
He stands by solid tactics such as reducing standards taught to Teach Them Properly (my caps), using the interactive lecture style to imbue direct teaching correctly (without all the mumbo-jumbo excessive activity-based frilly stuff that we have devolved into, or so he says), and reading, Reading, READING! Lots of reading.
I agree.
There is, of course, a lot of other useful information in this book. I heartily urge you to read it. It's an influential read, and will get you moving. I will be!
No comments:
Post a Comment