(2nd Ed), 2009, 132pgs, Corwin, USA.
My current improvement focus is mathematics, so I've been reading up on the subject of late. I picked this title, as it had a relevance to current pedagogy (the "differentiation" bit), and it looked as if it would encompass a modern teaching strategy that could help me to teach maths more effectively.
Bender introduces the text by offering it as a kind of "grab bag" of strategies and tricks that you can pick up and use immediately in the classroom. It is indeed accessible in this way. A number of the strategies also apply from Prep to year 8, as it purports to, and could even go further.
It was not really what I was looking for, that is, a program that has an overarching ethos that can be the basis of a successful maths program. I found that in the previous book, "Focus". Schmoker suggests teaching maths in the older style of interactive lecture, and that this can be very effective if taught correctly.
I also found difficulty in accepting the research and theory basis that Bender offers. His field and background is in children with learning difficulties, and this is where he has gathered much of his information. It's not really a problem - until he uses this information as a basis for strategies for general education students. Children with learning difficulties and children without are different, and can be taught in different ways.
So the "differentiation" that was presented was really just suggestions for students with learning difficulties. There was only one suggestion for gifted or bright children, and this in itself was not really satisfactory, not providing any guidance for extending those children beyond their peers adequately.
This, I believe, is not actually differentiation. It's just adapted lessons for those with learning difficulties. It's not so bad in itself, but Bender does not disclose this research bias, and thus discredits his own suggestions.
And yet, I found some useful tips that I could bring into the classroom. For example, there is merit in copying out flashcards as a method to learn the multiplication tables (even better for those with learning difficulties). Students that are bright and already know the content should not participate in the whole class minilesson - they should be taken out of the main group before that. The Concrete, Semi-Concrete, Abstract sequence is important, and should be heeded.
I will continue to look elsewhere for a text that I can base my maths teaching on. I'm thinking a new ASCD book, "Learning to Love Math" looks good. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment